It's been a long, stressful day at work and you can't wait to get home and cuddle up to your dog on the couch. You finally sit down and get settled in... but what in the world is that stench? You just gave them a bath so what could it be? It is your dog's ears!
What Causes the Odor in my Dog's Ears?
According to PetMD, odor in dogs' ears is normal and does not mean that anything serious is going on with your dog. Usually their ears just need to be cleaned.
“Dead skin cells and other things that occur naturally in the ear and ear wax can create an odor,” Dr. Christine Cain, the section chief of dermatology and allergy at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine said.
Ear infections are another cause of ear odor in dogs. Redness, itchiness and irritation is usually a sign that the dog is suffering more from an infection that is causing the smell.
Dogs Mostly Impacted
Some breeds of dogs are more affected by this than others because of the anatomy and shape of their ears. Dr. Dunbar Gram, a veterinarian and professor of dermatology at the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine states that very long and/or narrow ear canals, a lot of ear hair, or exposure to water from regular swimming or bathing can all make it harder for the ears to push wax out of the ear canal.
What Can You Do to Prevent the Odor?
Dogs' ears often clean themselves on their own, but every once in a while, it is good to properly clean them. One of the best ways to clean your dog's ears is with Eosera's upcoming product, Earwax PET™. This is a very easy to use solution that quickly and effectively cleans your dog's ear and dissolves the earwax that is giving off the odor. Earwax PET will also help to reduce irritation and is recommended by veterinarians.
The directions are user friendly and simple:
- Lay dog on side, gentle wipe away any debris from the around the outer ear with a cotton ball or facial tissue. This can also be done with the dog in normal standing position
- For large dogs (greater than 35 pounds), slowly place 1 full dropper into the ear canal
- For small dogs (less than 35 pounds), slowly place ½ dropper into the ear canal
- Gently massage base of ear for several minutes
- Keep the dog still for 5-15 minutes to allow the wax and debris to dissolve
- Allow dog to shake head as needed to remove excess fluid
- Dry outer ear canal with clean cotton ball or clean tissue
- Repeat immediately if the ear canal is not visually clean
- Treat ear every month or as directed by your veterinarian
Beat the Odor and Irritation!
We love our dogs, even though sometimes they can be a chore. Regular ear cleanings with Earwax PET will help reduce odor and irritation that is common in dogs so you can love on your dog anytime you want!
New Product Coming Soon!
Eosera has now created a new product called Earwax PET! Earwax PET is a new, revolutionary product for cleaning dogs ears, and will be on the market later in May! Click the link below to be among the first to be notified of its release.
Eosera is happy to announce our ear care line, Everything Ear Care!
Our products are available online on Amazon, in CVS stores nation wide and select Target stores.